We are blessed with a temperate and sunny climate in Singapore but for people with acne, this hot and humid climate can stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum, eventually leads to more frequent breakouts.
It is not uncommon that many of us have “Acne Nightmare” and acne scars are probably one of the most annoying side effects of having acne.
Acne scars can be difficult to treat, and unfortunately, over-the-counter products might not be powerful enough to improve the condition. Most often, professional help is required to see real improvement.
Let’s find out what are the different types of acne scars
1) Post-inflammatory colour changes
These are marks left behind on normal skin after pimples have recently healed. They can take the form of:
- Erythema (pink or purple marks)
- Hyperpigmentation (dark marks)
- Hypopigmentation (pale marks)
Post-inflammatory colour changes usually improve over months, however deeper dermal pigmentation may persist. Treatments include:
- Lightening creams
- Sun protection with a broad spectrum sunscreen to prevent further darkening of the lesions
- Chemical peels
- Laser photorejuvenation – Revlite, ProYellow, Fotona
2) Depressed scars
- Ice pick scars : narrow scars that look like the skin has been punctured by a sharp object.
- Boxcar scars: broader, box-shaped depressed scars
- Rolling scars look like rolling hills and valleys. They are also considered depressed scars.
Treatments like Infini and fractional lasers stimulate collagen production, which fills out the scars from beneath. Laser skin resurfacing such as the Fotona and Revlite remove micron thin layers of the skin, as well as reduce pores and treat uneven skin textures, which results in new, healthy and smoother skin.
Rejuran Healer, which involves microinjection of DNA-polynucleotides into the skin layer, is a revolutionary skinbooster that induces skin regeneration and healing from a cellular level. This not only reduces the appearance of acne scars, but also helps in regulating oil and sebum production, and improves skin hydration, tone, and texture.
Our INFINI treatment is often combined with PDRN for better healing, check out the trial price HERE.
3) Hypertrophic / keloid Scars (Thick, raised scars)
Some people are more prone to developing keloid scars, which can happen on any part of the body following injury to the skin. Steroid injections and lasers may flatten the scars.
A combination of treatment modalities may be required to target different types of scars. To reduce the chance of developing acne scars, seek treatment for acne early.
Book an appointment for a consultation with our team at 9728 2861..
Find out more about our ACNE TREATMENTS.