How Can I Tighten the Skin under My Eyes? Five Types of Cosmetic Treatments
Find out more about aesthetic clinic singapore
How Much Does Laser Face Treatment Cost?| Benefits, Info and Guide
Our skin can tell our health condition. If you’re sleepy, tired or stressed, the skin around your eyes shows it too especially if we become older.
Not all people have the time to do a skin-care routine and others may seek a dermatologist’s recommendation to get rid of unwanted conditions. Here are types of cosmetic treatments that can help in tightening the skin under the eyes.
- Chemical Peels – it can effectively get rid of shallow wrinkles through skin resurfacing.
- Hyaluronic acid-based fillers – it can plump up the hollows under your eyes.
- Botox – it can relax the muscles and smoothen out wrinkles above and beside your eyes.
- Lower Eyelid Surgery – heavy puffiness, sagging and sever wrinkles, the best way to deal with them is surgery. Blepharoplasty or lower eyelid surgery involves removing sagging skin and excess fat to tighten and smoothen the skin under your eyes.
- Lasers – laser resurfacing is the commonly used treatment similar to a chemical peel, stimulating new collagen growth.
Different Skin Conditions under the Eyes
Here is a list of conditions affecting the skin around your eyes. Learn what they are and the treatment that can be done.
- Atopic Dermatitis – a genetic disorder of the skin that affects the eyelids. Commonly, it’s scaly, red, itchy and oozing. Creams and eye drop will be prescribed by the doctor.
- Eyelid Contact Dermatitis – irritants include cleaners, eyelid cosmetics, eye drops, contact lens and medicines resulting to redness, burning sensation, itching, with scaly skin and blisters. An allergy test may be conducted and treatment usually used is creams.
- Xanthelasma – yellowish plaques that are flat or a slight bump. Treatment may be laser, chemical or surgical.
- Bacterial Skin Infection (Conjunctivitis or Impetigo) – eyelids can also be infected. The eyes will have a discharge that’s sticky, thick and yellow. The person may have red eyelids with yellow crusts. Impetigo is common in children. Antibiotics are needed for treatment, and good hygiene should be maintained.
- Skin Tags – these are skin outgrowths that are small, skin-colored but harmless. For cosmetic reasons, it may be removed surgically but no other treatment is needed.
- Syringoma – it’s visible on the eyelids, it’s harmless, small and skin-colored. For cosmetic reasons, it can be removed surgically by excision or lasers.
- Dark Rings around the eyes – this is common in dark skin-toned individuals. It may occur due to lack of sleep or stress. There is no known treatment for this condition. However, this is not an indication of illness.
- Milia – small skin growths that are yellowish-white that are usually seen on the temple or eyelids due to clogged sweat ducts. Treatment may be done surgically.
- Naevus of Ota – birthmark that’s blue-black discoloration found on the cheek, eyelids and temple and even on the white part of the eye. It will need multiple treatments, and the interval is two to three months.
- Port-wine stain – vascular birthmarks that look like red and flat patches on the cheek and eyelids. A multiple laser treatments with three months intervals will be needed.
- Strawberry Naevus – birthmarks in the veins, a growth that’s large, soft and red on the eyelids. Treatments needed are injections, laser surgery and oral medication.
The Causes of Eye Sagging
Eye Sagging or also known as droopy eyelids (Ptosis) occurs because of age, trauma and different medical ailments. It may be temporary or permanent. Possible causes are the following:
- At times, babies are born with this condition.
- It happens when the nerves controlling the muscles of the eyelids are damaged.
- It comes with age.
- Weak muscles around the eyes.
- Cataract surgery or LASIK stretches the eyelid.
- Eye tumor.
Children will need regular checkup and may need surgery as they grow older. Adult who has it usually needs surgery.
How to Reduce and Prevent Lines Round Your Eyes
Wrinkles and fine lines are simply caused by aging. There are different ways to get rid of them:
- Facial exercises.
- Have your allergies treated since it will eventually protect the skin under the eyes.
- Promote new cell growth on the skin under your eyes by gently exfoliating the dry skin.
- Moisturize using an eye cream.
- Avoid too much sun exposure. Wear hat or apply sun screen.
- Eat foods that are high in vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E such as carrots, citrus fruits and pumpkin.
Reducing fine lines and wrinkles may be achieved through the following:
- Dermal Fillers can plump up the skin underneath or around the eyes.
- Chemical peels remove dead cells and promote new growth of cells.
- Micro dermabrasion exfoliates skin, and it’s a minimally invasive treatment.
Are Fine Lines Treatable?
Definitely, yes. Fine lines are treatable in different ways:
- Topicals such as serums and moisturizers that are high in vitamin C, retinol and hyaluronic acid.
- Botox injections will help you achieve smooth results that can last 3 to 4 months.
- Microneedling can smoothen lines, but treatment should be done once a week within a few months. Pain is minimal.
- Lasers resurface your skin. It is the most effective but with moderate pain.
Signs of Getting Old
Aging is a natural process, and it’s inevitable too. Here are the signs that you will want to know:
- In our 20s – as early as 20, there are already signs of aging that usually appear around the eyes. Visible lines around the nose and mouth, dark circles, dark spots and drooping eyelids.
- In our 30s – you’ll notice vertical and fine lines whenever we do facial expressions.
- 40s and onwards – we lose more of our skin’s elasticity and volume, resulting to more sagging folds on our facial lines.
Reasons Why You Look Older
- There are people who look older than their age and there are reasons for that. If that’s happening to you, take a look at the reasons below, you might find the answeranswer::
- Attitude – happier people look younger. Anger and distress can permanently show on the face through wrinkles and fine lines.
- Smoking and Drinking – excessive of doing so are bad for our health, resulting to health problems.
- Heat, cold and moisture – Sun’s UV rays are harmful and overexposure is bad. Wrinkles also develop in cold environment, making the skin look too thin. Skin needs to be moisturized up to three times a day to delay aging process.
- Diet – having a balanced diet is preferred.
- Weight – maintaining a healthy weight is a must to avoid health problems that hasten the aging process.
- Exercise – regular workouts can keep your body in good shape and help you look young.
- Stress – deal with it through massage, yoga, meditation and rest.
Fine Lines vs Wrinkles
Here is the main difference between the two:
Fine lines – caused by a weakness in the foundation of the skin. It develops when the skin becomes folded and can’t revert back to its original shape. The lines here are very mild.
Wrinkles – is not that different to fine lines, but the lines here are deeper.
Tighten Skin Naturally
Here are some ways on how you can tighten the skin around your eyes naturally:
- Under your eyes, apply a natural astringent every day. There are many natural astringent recipes you can easily make such as parsley and peppermint, lemon juice or witch hazel.
- Cucumbers can make your skin firmer and tighter.
- Baking soda can scrub off dead skin cells, making your skin tighter.
- Egg whites may be used under your eyes. It can firm your skin and shrink pores.
- Oils mixed in eye creams can greatly help such as jojoba oil, avocado oil, Shea butter, grape seed or vitamin E.
- Massaging under the eyes can help decrease puffiness.
- Use sunscreen not lower than SPF 30.
- Put your eye cream in the fridge since cold can decrease puffiness.
- Drinks lots of water.
Tired and irritated eyes can use some common herbs that are soothing and relaxing at the same time. Here is a list:
- Fennel Seed
Make a strong decoction on one of the herbs listed above, strain twice.
Is Cucumbers Effective?
The use of cucumber for the skin around your eyes has many benefits. It can control the puffiness of your eyes because of its caffeic and ascorbic acid. It can also fight cellulite since its juice has phytochemicals that helps produce collagen. Dark circle can be reduced since it has silica and antioxidants. It’s also a moisturizer that can reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Cold cucumber can tone down the bags under your eye at the same time.
What is Periorbital Hyperpigmentation?
Periorbital Hyperpigmentation is known as Dark Circles around your eyes. This is common and is mostly found in people who have dark pigmentation.
Periorbital Puffiness is also called puffy eyes. The swelling around the eyes is called orbits. It is caused by fluid buildup or periorbital edema. Minor puffiness below the eyes is called eye bags.
If your skin is not moisturized, wrinkles will begin to appear. You can moisturize the skin around your eyes as long as it does not hurt or irritate your eyes. Use eye creams instead of face creams to avoid stinging sensation.
Can’t Get Rid of The Problem? Healthsprings Can Help
Talk to our experienced dermatologist today if you have concerns on the skin around your eyes. Healthsprings will give you the expert advice that you need to address your problems in this matter appropriately.
Call us today and let us help you.
+65 6836 8386
You can also book a trial session with us.