How to increase collagen levels in the skin?
“Can collagen gives you young, bouncy and firm skin?”
Many would have heard about collagen and its importance in preserving skin health.
But…. what exactly is collagen and what does it do?
What is collagen and what is the benefits of collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in skin, contributing to the firmness and elasticity of the skin.
Around the age of 30, collagen levels in the skin drop by approximately 1% every year.
Other factors such as UV exposure, pollution, smoking, and sugar consumption generate free radicals which damage collagen and accelerate collagen breakdown. Collagen loss translates into fine lines, wrinkles, loose skin, and loss of firmness of the skin as we grow older.
What can be done to boost collagen production?
- Increase oral collagen intake
There is good evidence from clinical trials that collagen peptide consumption for 8 weeks increases skin collagen content, with noticeable improvements in wrinkle depth, skin elasticity, reduction of cellulite, and stronger nails!
When considering a collagen supplement, look for hydrolysed collagen peptides such as the Collagen Lift Red Carpet drink, which is more easily absorbed and available to the skin for new collagen formation. It also contains hyaluronic acid, Mediterranean seaweed, and vitamin C, which assist in the production of collagen within the skin.
Healthsprings is the authorised seller of Collagen Lift Red Carpet drink
- Skincare products
Retinoid-containing products help in regulating gene functions for skin cell turnover, collagen production, and repair of damaged skin. It is one of the most proven skincare compounds for reducing signs of ageing.
Serums with antioxidants such as our Vitamin C serum and Crystal White gel reduce damage from free radicals and oxidative stress, thus preserving collagen levels in the skin.
- Aesthetic treatments
- Non-surgical facelift procedures utilising ultrasound (Ultherapy), and radiofrequency (Thermage, Protege), gently heat the dermis layer of the skin to remodel existing collagen and stimulate new collagen formation. The wrinkle-reducing and skin-tightening effects continue for several months after a single treatment.
- Infini is a powerful, clinically proven fractional radiofrequency treatment delivered precisely to the skin via microneedles. Microneedling creates thousands of micro-punctures to the dermis, which induces the natural healing process to replace the puncture zones with new collagen and elastin. Radiofrequency energy further boosts collagen production. This treatment improves the appearance of large pores and scarring.
- Lasers such as fractional CO2 laser trigger skin remodelling and new collagen formation by creating tiny wounds in the skin. Fotona 4D laser works similarly, using 4 unique modalities to stimulate collagen production with minimal damage to the superficial epidermal layer. This means that there is no downtime and reduced risk of side effects as compared to fractional CO2. The 4 modalities work in combination to target different skin concerns – reduction of wrinkles and pigmentation, skin tightening, volumising “filler”-like effect without injections, and superficial peel – in one single treatment.
- Rejuran healer, a salmon-derived DNA-based filler, can boost the collagen-inducing benefits of aesthetic treatments, or can be done as a stand-alone treatment of micro-injections into the skin. It is proven to have significant effects on collagen and tissue regeneration by activating skin cells at a molecular level.
- Pro-collagen lifestyle
Of course, having healthy habits such as reducing sugar intake, eating clean, regular exercise (especially resistance training), avoiding excessive sun exposure, and cutting out cigarettes – go a long way in reducing damage and breakdown of collagen.
Interested in any of our aesthetic programs that can boost your collagen levels and reduce your skin age? Make an appointment with our doctors today!
To enquire, simple call/ Whatsapp +65 9728 2861.